Tuesday, February 03, 2015

RE: Super Bowl Thoughts

This video and the story on the same page is exactly how I feel about the Marshawn Lynch media situation. Talking to the media is part of the job of a high-profile (millionaire) athlete. It comes with the territory. Deal with it. For once, I really enjoyed hearing what Steven A. Smith had to say. I thought it was spot on.

Going into the game, I would not have been surprised by either team winning, but I expected a close game. NE might not win, but you're not blowing out Brady-Belichick. I kinda leaned towards the Pats. You just knew all this talk and "distractions" about Deflategate was only going to fire them up and motivate them even more. I think it worked against the Seachickens.

Again, Seattle is a great team, but I had a hard time seeing Brady-Belichick get beat for a 3rd time in the SB. To me, it was more of the Brady-Belichick factor, not how good Seattle's defense is.

Watching the game at Big Daddy's, we were all yelling for the Pats to let Seattle score. You knew they would, so you're better off getting the ball back with :40 seconds, one Timeout, and only needing a FG. As we're all being arm-chair quarterbacks, at that moment, Wilson threw the pick. Unbelievable play and play-call.

Give the ball to Lynch. Or, design any number of plays involving Wilson scrambling for a running TD. Neither one was going to be stopped. It felt as if Carroll out-coached himself in the situation and didn't want to score too easily/quickly.

Great game.

1 comment:

Stack said...

At the time it really seemed like the wrong call, but after seeing some of the defenses I can understand it. Belichick's seemingly insane decision to not call a timeout worked out perfectly.