Thursday, October 09, 2014

Rich Rod

I wish I could remember my thoughts the day Rich Rod was fired from UM. I'm pretty sure I was more happy than disappointed, more glad than upset. I don't remember ever being a Rich Rod "hater." But, I know I HATED his defense. I loved his offense. The guy was a genius how he moved the ball and Denard was awesome to watch.

The guy could flat out coach and recruit. I know for sure I gave him a free pass his first two years because Lloyd Carr absolutely set the program up for failure. I know Mallet was supposed to be the next QB under Carr's system, but other than that, the cupboards were empty. But knowing what he did at West Virginia, you had to give him at least two years because of how different his program was run.

I think the part that bothered me the most was the defense NEVER improved in his 3 year era and his Special Teams apparently didn't practice much. The wins and offense gradually improved, but the defense didn't show signs of progress. Apparently he was never able to get his Defensive Coordinator from West Virginia to come to UM. But, he now has him in Arizona, which certainly helped limit Oregon to 24 points at Oregon, something the MSU DC could NOT do. The problem I had is at a program like Michigan, the name on the jersey should get you all the recruits you need to beat anyone not named OSU, MSU, ND, and Wisconsin. Then, with a last name/track record of Rodriguez, that should get you the rest of the recruits you need to beat those teams. Is that arrogance? I don't intend it that way, that's just how it goes. However, with the Michigan brand and the Rodriguez name, he still couldn't beat the rivals (or cared to beat them?). After 3 years of recruiting, the program and your name should be better than 7 wins. It shouldn't take 3 years at a Michigan, OSU, Florida, Alabama, etc. to get 7 wins. Shoot, you get 3 from all the home games against the MAC!

I believe Rich Rod didn't always do his part to keep people happy, especially since he wasn't a "Michigan Man." He ruffled some feathers and got a lot of heat. But, I also believe there were some behind-the-scenes stuff going on, whether that was orchestrated by Carr or not, to make things miserable for Rich Rod. I wonder though, what if the plug was pulled too soon. What would have a 4th or 5th year looked like?

Would I be having these doubts if Hoke wasn't stinking up the program or if Rodriguez wouldn't have just beat Oregon? You're always glad to break up with your girlfriend until she starts dating one of your enemies or she acts like her life is better without you.

1 comment:

Stack said...

Last week was probably the absolute worst time to look back if you were going to have doubts about letting the guy go.

I wonder how much of the defensive issues were scheme compared to personnel? I've never really heard that broken down.

As dynamic as Robinson was in that offense, I can say as a Spartan fan that I never really feared him. That's not so much a scheme thing as knowing the guy would make a crucial mistake and throw a bad pass or hang on too long and get annihilated in the pocket.