Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Movie Reviews

I finally decided to watch "Pulp Fiction" on Netflix. It's practically worshipped on the IMDb rating system (9.0) and consider a cult classic. Here's my take: I didn't get it. None of it. Overrated. Complete waste of my time. I didn't see what the big deal was about the movie. It really shouldn't come as much of a surprise, I typically don't care for Quentin Tarantino movies.

"Sneakers" (7.1 IMDb rating, 1992). Thought it was worth watching on Netflix. Robert Redford usually keeps my interest.

"Eight Men Out" (PG, 1988, 7.3 rating): this movie is about the 1919 Black Sox scandal in the World Series. I thought it was worth watching. I didn't really understand the real backdrop to the story, but according to the movie, they did a great job explaining why they took the bribes.

"The Bad News Bears" (PG, 1976, 7.3 rating): Basically this review is about the PG rating. I honestly can't remember even a 5 minute segment that I would consider PG. The language was bad, yet no F-words. Even more puzzling is typically rating standards have been watered down as years go on. So, what is considered rated R in 1990 or later (as long as no nudity), it's usually given a PG-13 rating if the movie were to have been released in 2005 or newer. Our rating standards have been lowered. The drinking and smoking throughout the movie and the swearing, especially by the 12-year olds, was not acceptable behavior or content to earn a PG rating. Side note: I've never seen the Billy Bob Thorton version and have no plans...it can only be worse with him. I believe it has a PG-13 rating, but still no F-words.


1 comment:

Stack said...

I have Pulp Fiction saved on Netflix too but haven't watched it; I suspect I'd feel the same as you.

I remember Sneakers being okay, not great.

I think movie ratings were different in the 70's. I watched Force 10 from Navarrone (awful movie despite a young Harrison Ford) a few weeks ago and was surprised to see some fairly graphic violence and nudity in spite of the PG rating.