Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Completion and Other Thoughts

Some thoughts on the Rose Bowl and the rest of the end of the college football season:

-Having your team win the Rose Bowl is pretty cool.

-I can't believe Dantonio thought in May that the Spartans would be there in January. He must have been the only one.

-That game ended perfectly. The whole thing was movie-like in the way things unfolded, as if plot lines from the entire season were being wrapped up.

-So, I want to buy Rose Bowl gear, but I don't think I'd actually wear any of it.

-Do the normal poll rules not apply at the end of the season? How is Auburn still #2 after a loss? I don't really care and I'm cool with the Spartans being #3 (which I think is reasonable but I still can't wrap my mind around it) but it seems a little odd.

-I loved how ESPN set Bob Stoops up to be the butt of jokes about SEC dominance and then Oklahoma went out and beat Alabama.

-How come SEC losses never actually count against the SEC? I get it, the conference (at the top at least) is good, but they aren't invincible.

-It takes too long to get to the title game, I'm totally checked out by the time it's kicked off. And Monday night is a stupid night for a college football game.

-All of the BCS games being on ESPN instead of ABC is ridiculous. I know I'm late to the party on this but it actually makes me pretty mad.

-I think the new playoff format is going to be horrendous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I can't believe Dantonio thought in May that the Spartans would be there in January. He must have been the only one."

Have to admit, that was cool. I honestly don't think every coach does/says that. That was bold. Hard not to get down with Dantonio. Classy.


"-Do the normal poll rules not apply at the end of the season? How is Auburn still #2 after a loss? I don't really care and I'm cool with the Spartans being #3 (which I think is reasonable but I still can't wrap my mind around it) but it seems a little odd."


This is another prime example of how hypocritical the voting/poll process is. I've made myself clear in the past about how I feel. When a team loses in a conference championship game, they get penalized in conference standings as well as in the BCS polls. Teams should not be allowed to jump another team if not playing after the regular season.

Next, 99.9% of the time when a team loses, they automatically drop in the polls, which I totally disagree with. However, you're right, #2 Auburn lost in the Title game and DIDN'T drop in the polls. (I wonder if MSU being from the B1G had anything to do with it...SEC double standard???). But, in this example, I'm fine with the #2 team losing and NOT dropping. Auburn was the underdog playing on a neutral field and nearly/should have won the game. Since they weren't supposed to win anyway, I don't think they should drop in the rankings. They did what they were supposed to do - lose, but almost won. That has to count for something.

"All of the BCS games being on ESPN instead of ABC is ridiculous. I know I'm late to the party on this but it actually makes me pretty mad."

Again, I've given my frustrations in the past as a non-cable subscriber. I've now taken matters into my own hands with the WatchESPN iPad app and a 15 foot HDMI cable so I can enjoy the game from the couch on a 60" screen.

Suck it!

Rumor has it Mr. Green was in attendance in Pasadena.

Ump