Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thoughts on Green Lantern

A few thoughts on Green Lantern, which I saw on Friday:

-I liked it, though not as much as Thor. It's a decent film, but it had the potential to be a lot better. They tried to fit a lot of story into one movie when they probably should have went with less.

-Like Thor, GL starts with exposition that fills you in on the origin of the Corps, their powers, and the source of the threat they face. I don't think it's a problem, but I've seen a lot of whining to the contrary.

-The costume is a little weird, but it worked for me well enough when watching the movie.

-Ryan Reynolds does a good job as Hal Jordan. Not exactly how I picture the character, but close enough.

-Mark Strong is very good as Sinestro, but he doesn't get near enough screen time.

-This movie has the most alien aliens I've ever seen in a movie.

-Yes, there's a lot of CG in this movie. A lot. I've seen complaints about that too and how things don't look real. Most of the CG is pretty good, but so much of the movie is spent in such fantastic locations you're never going to buy it as "real". If that's a problem you should probably go watch something else.

-There is a scene after the main credits, so you don't have to wait as long as you do in the Marvel films. It's a cool scene, but a bit disappointing because it's a major development and it really wasn't set up well enough.

2 comments:

Ump said...

OUR thoughts on "Green Lantern:"

We saw it Saturday night. My wife had low expectations...I had a feeling the movie wasn't going to suck, so I let her keep her negative thoughts so the movie could "surprise" her.

I didn't know for sure if it was opening weekend, but I also wanted to beat you to "Thoughts on GL" in case you hadn't seen it yet. I didn't think you'd see it opening weekend, let alone opening night.

- Fairly liked by my wife...mostly because it contained a love story.

- In case you hadn't seen it yet, it has it's share of "eye candy" similar to Thor. Blake Lively didn't look too bad either.

- Does anyone else get reminded of Bill Goodall with every role Ryan Reynolds plays?

- I know nothing of the story, so I had no expectations of any costumes, story, etc. But, I agree on many of your thoughts. It seemed like a very difficult movie to do without much CG...which seems to be a theme in many of the latest comic book movies because the characters have become very difficult to bring to life.

- Watched some of the main credits...apparently not enough though and missed the scene. Now I'm ticked.

- All in all, very entertained by the movie.

- X-Men is coming to CC next week, any thoughts?

Stack said...

-Yeah, Blake Lively is somewhat attractive.

-I hope you haven't just ruined every Ryan Reynolds I watch from now on.

-X-Men has gotten pretty good reviews generally. It doesn't really have much of anything to do with the previous movies. From what I gather it's good when Xavier and Magneto are onscreen and mediocre the rest of the time.