Saturday, January 09, 2010

Of Cold And Hate

Let me tell you a story.

It was cold this morning, fifteen degrees below zero when I first checked. However, I had things that needed to get done, primarily taking the pickup out to have the oil changed, so I decided to venture out. I get in the pickup, turn the key, and the engine won't turn over. The battery in the truck is less than three months old. It's been fine all week in subzero mornings, though none were quite as cold as today. Cursing the ability of Interstate to make a decent battery, I went back up to the apartment to get my portable battery pack to jump the pickup, which was recently charged for just such an occasion.

After struggling to get the hood open (pull the lever in the cab then pry it open with frozen fingers so I can reach the release underneath) I hooked up the battery pack. Wrong. Twice. Which was odd because I've used the darn thing at least three times, and all three were in the dark. Anyway, the third time being the charm, the pickup started right up. I unhooked the battery pack and slammed the hood down hard to make sure it stayed closed, and maybe a little out of frustration.

Then a bloody car alarm started going off.

Parked (poorly I might add) next to me was a joke of a vehicle that looks something like this:


The Nissan Cube. I hate the Cube. Apparently it won a design award, I can only assume it was for "Greatest Sin in Automotive Design 2009" or some such. Or maybe it won for a ridiculously sensitive car alarm, which proceeded to make noise the entire time I'm scraping frost off my windows. Fortunately for me it was pretty early for city-dwellers (not yet 9:30) so I didn't have to deal with an angry neighbor, which is good because there's no way I'm taking seriously the drive of a periwinkle blue Cube.

The rest of the morning passed without incident.

1 comment:

andy said...

Looks like it belongs in the "worst of the autoshow" post I did a few years back. Right down there with that chinese tricycle.