Thursday, December 15, 2005

Protests, fur, and firing Millen

How unpopular is Matt Millen right now? A quote from Charles Robinson's column on Yahoo! sports:

There are going to be plenty of people across the league watching to see what happens in Detroit this weekend. Not only has the fan revolt against the Detroit Lions and president Matt Millen been embarrassing to the franchise, but many league insiders have been shocked by how ugly the situation has gotten.

A Detroit radio station ran a promotion to erect a pair of billboards in the city this weekend, each reading "NOT THIS MILLENIUM. … Rebuilding since '57". Fans have also organized a march and an "Orange Out" on Sunday, when the Lions play the Bengals in their home finale. And lest we forget, "Fire Millen!" chants have broken out everywhere, including Michigan and Michigan State basketball games, and a Detroit Red Wings game – in Washington, D.C.

Millen seems like a nice guy, but I don't think he survives this. When was the last time you saw Detroit fans this angry?

Ben Wallace's goggles were not cool. But Shaq's fur coat was (Sorry, couldn't find a pic). If I was Shaq, and heard complaints from PETA, here's what I would do: I'd invite them to a big press conference where I said I'd make a big donation to show how sorry I was for buying fur. Everyone would show up, and so would TV cameras. Then I'd hand out fur coats to all the PETA people. That would be a great television moment.

No comments: